Cleveland High School

High School

Undocumented Students & Families

Resources for Undocumented Students & Families

Seattle Public Schools is committed to educating children regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, country of origin or immigration status. We will do whatever it takes to make sure every student thrives and want to reassure you, that we will do everything within our power to make sure all of our children are safe, honored and respected while in our care.

At Cleveland High School, we value EVERY student regardless of their immigration status. This page provides helpful resources for undocumented students and their families.

Financial Aid & WASFA

College Guide for Undocumented Students

The following organizations will help cover the entire cost of the $495 DACA filing fee. Contact them using the methods listed below:

Mexican Consulate Requirements


WASFA (Washington Application for State Financial Aid)

State Financial Aid for DREAMers
Washington State offers financial aid programs to students who aren’t eligible for federal financial aid because of immigration status. These students still need to meet other program requirements.

To find out if you qualify, complete the free WASFA to apply for state financial aid. Start the process or learn more about financial aid for which you may qualify by going to the WASFA website.

Know Your Rights

Here are some tips to help you if you’re stopped by the police or immigration officers.

Download and print this immigration card for reference and keep it in your wallet

Download and print this police card for reference and keep it in your wallet

  • You have the right to remain silent. If you wish to remain silent, tell the officer.
  • Stay calm. Don’t run. Don’t argue, resist, or obstruct the police. Keep your hands where police can see them.
  • Ask if you’re free to leave. If yes, calmly and silently walk away.
  • You do not have to consent to a search of yourself or your belongings.
  • Stop the car in a safe place as quickly as possible. Turn off the car, turn on the internal light, open the window partway, and place your hands on the wheel.
  • Upon request, show police your driver’s license, registration, and proof of insurance.
  • If an officer or immigration agent asks to search your car, you can refuse.
  • Both drivers and passengers have the right to remain silent. If you’re a passenger, you can also ask if you’re free to leave. If yes, you can silently leave.
  • You have the right to remain silent. You do not have to answer questions about where you were born, whether you’re a U.S. citizen, or how you entered the country. (Separate rules apply at international borders and airports, and for individuals on certain nonimmigrant visas, including tourists and business travelers.)
  • If you’re not a U.S. citizen and have valid immigration papers, you should show them if an immigration agent requests it. 
  • Do not lie about your citizenship status or provide fake documents.
  • You don’t have to let them in unless they have a warrant signed by a judge.
  • Ask them to show you the warrant. Officers can only search the areas and for the items listed on the warrant.
  • An arrest warrant allows police to enter the home of the person listed on the warrant if they believe the person is inside.
  • An ICE detainer or an order of removal/deportation does not allow officers to enter a home without consent.
  • Do not resist.
  • Say you wish to remain silent and ask for a lawyer. If you can’t afford a lawyer, the government must provide one.
  • Don’t say anything, sign anything, or make any decisions without a lawyer.
  • You have the right to make a local phone call. The police cannot listen if you call a lawyer.
  • Don’t discuss your immigration status with anyone but your lawyer.
  • An immigration officer may visit you in jail. Do not answer questions or sign anything before talking to a lawyer.
  • Read all papers fully. If you don’t understand or cannot read the papers, say you need an interpreter.